VIC Govt Talks to Riders

The Victorian Government has engaged with riders to resolve conflict between riders, resident and other forest users.

Click here for more information

Nowhere To Ride

There's hardly anywhere to ride legally in NSW.

Land developers, policy exclusion, clowns and noise has resulted in closure of nearly all available areas.

Now there are Environmental problems as riders push into areas they would not have used previously.

Erosion from new track creation, grooving of water diversion banks (roll-overs), creek bank destruction and spreading of weeds and diseases from unwashed machines are all problems now.

Media Release

23 November 2010


The Motorcycle Council of NSW (MCC of NSW) calls upon the NSW state government to immediately introduce Recreational Registration for off-road motorcycles along the lines of the Victorian model.

Click here for more information

How to get onto good tracks, legally

Registered or Not?

The options of riders in NSW are pretty clear. Buy an un-registerable MXer or mini bike and you are restricted to private property, a handful of riding parks, or competition events on licensed tracks. Buy a registered bike, and the world opens up to you. Remember too that registered bikes are designed to cope with varied riding conditions and their designs, especially in suspension, give much better handling in the bush. MXers are set up with very stiff suspension so they offer a rough, harsh and skittery ride over roots and rocks. They also have abrupt power deliveries designed to work aggressively on relatively smooth tracks, and not with the finesse of the broad power spread required on technical trails. In the bush, registered ‘enduro’ and trail bikes rule.

Riders who are too young to be licensed obviously can only ride on private property.

Most quad bikes (All Terrain Vehicles – ATVs) cannot be registered as they do not meet the relevant safety standards and therefore can only be ridden on private property.

Motocross bikes, pit-bikes and mini-bikes are not designed for registration and do not have the equipment such as lighting, horns etc, for registration. These bikes therefore can only be ridden on private property.

Recreational Registration (for Stockton Beach only)

Stockton Beach north of Newcastle has a recreation vehicle area available for use by vehicles that have recreation vehicle (conditional) registration. A Beach Vehicle Driving permit must also be obtained before beach driving is undertaken. These are available from several service stations located near the entrances to the Beach at Lavis Lane and Anna Bay. There are currently no other areas in NSW available for use by vehicles with recreation registration.

Motocross bikes and All Terrain Vehicles can obtain recreation vehicle registration for use on Stockton Beach within the recreation vehicle area only.

Note that the person applying for this registration must be at least 16 years of age, and a Customer Roadworthiness Declaration form must also be completed when registering vehicles such as motorcycles or quad bikes (All Terrain Vehicles - ATVs).

Click here for the NSW RTA Conditional Registration application form (RTA Form No. 1246)

Click here for the NSW RTA Customer Roadworthiness Declaration form (RTA Form No. 1245)

What is a Road?

A road is now legally defined as any highway, back road, trail or single-track that can be accessed by the public (Road & road related area legislation). So even a single-track on private property can be classed as a road-related area if it isn’t fenced off from public access. And if you’re riding on a public road or road related area, you must have a rider’s licence and be riding a registered bike. The fines if you get caught riding unregistered and unlicensed add up to nearly two thousand dollars; it just isn’t worth the risk. Its more than the difference between a registered and unregistered bike, so get caught out once and you could have bought and paid the difference between the MXer and the ‘enduro’ bike, and what’s the freedom and peace of mind of riding legally worth?

So what is a public road? This one is tricky. Public roads range from the obvious road network that link our towns and cities, to tracks through the bush. These days, if a track is closed it will be clearly sign posted and the fines for going around these signs are steep. It is also illegal to leave formed roads in State Forests and National Parks, and this applies to existing single-tracks. Old logging tracks are another matter. Many were recognised as roads and appear on maps, but have been allowed to regenerate as they fall into disuse. Strictly speaking, they’re still public roads and there are many brilliant trails along such tracks, particularly in State Forests. Ask your local land managers about using them, and you may be surprised at the great riding to be had.

Photo by Alex Ralec

There are places that are closed to the public. Management trails in National Parks are generally closed, you cannot enter private property without permission, and declared Wilderness Areas are definite no-go zones for all but walkers. All of these areas will be clearly sign-posted, so if you obey the signs, you won’t get into strife. On the other hand, if you are licensed and registered, you have full access to every public road, track and trail in the State giving hundreds of thousands of kilometres of riding options.

Click here for types of Parks and Reserves in NSW

To ride on roads and road related areas you will need to be licensed. Click here to find out about getting a motorcycle license.